Monday, August 23, 2010

A piece of my heart goes to kindergarten



So as we're getting ready for our first day of kindergarten, we ceremoniously break out the camera for all those pictures that will go in his baby book, and that's when it makes its ugly, glaring shortcoming known. Rich asks me, "Um, have you charged this lately?" Nothin.' Dead as a door nail. Completely, 100%, totally DEAD. Break out the shovel and put this thing 6 feet under kind of dead. So, I head for the charger and let the miserable Fuji Film start the recharging process. So we had to resort to the iPhone. I heart that iPhone, really, but I don't know how to get those pictures from said phone to my hands so that they can join the baby book picture family. "We are fa-mi-ly!"
Dear hubby kept reminding me that Jack would take his cues from his mom. Translation: if you're a blubbering idiot in the morning, there's a good chance that he'll be unsure of this new chapter in his life. Me? A blubbering idiot? Two words. Steel and Magnolias. 'Nuff said.
Rich went with us to school and waited in the car with Things 2 and 3 so that the transition into the world of kindergarten would be a little smoother. I asked him if he wanted to hold my hand, to which he said no. Oh, my beating heart. You little precious piece of my beating heart.
But as the day progressed, I realized that we have a 5 year old child who has been doing this school thing for 3 years now, and, you know something, he's pretty well rounded. Praise be to God that he isn't a shaky little leaf, afraid of the world around him. It might just be the first day, but we got this. By God's unfailing grace, we got this.
I haven't heard a lot about his day other than it was good, but I do know that his teachers have been added to my prayer list, just like his preschool teachers were.
Will asked me this morning at about 9 am if it was time to go get Jack from "his 5 year old school." Maybe it will be even easier the next time around. Not easier to let go and trust him to someone else for a few hours a day. Not more hours a day than I'm with him; that's simply not true in our case. Just easier to be happy for my children when they walk away from me on that first school day, knowing that they sit in the palm of God's hand. And there's no better place for them to be.

4 comments:

  1. So funny! My camera was totally broken! I took it back to Best Buy on Sunday hoping they'd swap it out with a nice, new camera, but instead they are mailing it in to the factory. See ya later, phone! I used my iPhone, too. My husband said there is a Shutterfly app. I often just e-mail them to myself and then save & click the .jpg to the hard drive. It's a pain, I know! On another note, I left an award for you over at my site. You may not be into that sort of thing. It's fine with me either way! I just liked the excuse to link up to your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know, Kelley. I'll have to try it; me and my all-things-other-than-email-handicapped self.
    I did thank you for my award! You shouldn't have! You like me! You really like me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm back... Not sure if I told you yet or not, but I loved your definition for "tranter" for "Captcha Balderdash"! Hahaha!! I could totally see a rusted pick-up containing some soil & flahrs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry. I don't blog that often so I didn't see this. I wished after I posted tranter that I had added that it came from the word "trrlet." No self respecting hick says "toilet." :)

    ReplyDelete