Thursday, November 4, 2010

I Could use a Starbucks Run

My mind often wonders over to that difficult topic of home schooling and legalism. Well, topics, I guess. One doesn't have to affect or influence the other, but often they get horribly tangled in the same web.

I spent years of my life just taking it from people; advice, criticism, discipline, even. Ah, the joys of Daddy's being a preacher man. And there are; but there's a lot of other stuff too.

I'm reading Charlott's Web to Jack again right now, which I love. What a wonderful book. And what an interesting way to look at my life as that web that Charlotte weaves, writes descriptive Wilbur words in, and then watches the wind and other elements of nature tear her web to shredded strands. A thing of former beauty. That's me. I can try with all my might to appear as something other than what I am, but inside I'm that torn web flapping in the wind. God has a plan specifically tailored for my life, as He has one perfectly tailored for yours. Will life be bump free? No. We are being sanctified and made whole, but we won't be what we were completely created to be until we rest in Jesus' arms.

Part of the struggle for us as those fallen creates who, I remind you, were created just "a little lower than the angels," Psalm 8:5, is our desire to tell those around us how to live, how to raise our families, and whether we should buy organic. But our lives should be about how we can best glorify God in our day to day. But I fail at that, as do we all. Jesus is our Gospel; our choices should not be.

My hat's off to those moms who homeschool, soak their whole grains, and make their own mascara. Yes, I said mascara. I'll just go buy that at Walmart, send my kids to school, feed them mac and cheese (with broccoli), and hum "Jesus Loves Me."

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what you're talking about, Patrick. Honest to goodness, I don't. I'm writing humbly to my few readers about something that bothers me at times. Your comments are unfounded. I sing "Jesus Loves Me" because I know that He loves me for who I am, and not for anything I have done. I am shaking I am so hurt. I realize that were it not for God's grace, I would be any of those things that you listed.
    You took me way out of context, and I'm sorry for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, In that case, I owe you the apology. Thus I never go on face book. I mistake the tone of so manny postings. The part about the mascara, to me seemed, bitter and harsh. Please, there is no need for trembling with me. I have known you since you were just knee high. Yet, as you probably well know, sometimes one can misunderstand something another has written. Please take my apology and forgive me.

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete