Thursday, June 3, 2010

Life is Messy...

But then I come across pictures like this that make my heart melt. What a blur this stage of my life has been: three babies in four years, my "baby" baby is almost 15 months old, and my oldest baby is soon to be heading off to kindergarten.
Emma has been sick since last Friday, and it's amazing to me how easily we take our health for granted. Our children sleep well (usually) when they are in good health, whining is easily (usually) dealt with. "If you don't stop NOW..."
So when the rash appeared on sweet girl's face I rescheduled the appointment with the doctor. I suspected roseola, but I wanted to know why we had gotten so little sleep the night before. Ears are always a possibility. Coming down the ski lift in from the mountain tops overlooking Santa Fe, the rides on the airplanes.
It's a wonder that we as adults don't use that one. "Why were you late?" "Sorry, it was my ears."
"Do you know how fast you were speeding?" "No, officer, but I blame it on my ears." Maybe that's not such a good idea, afterall.
Back to my previous topic. Now I know why it takes me so long to unpack after a trip; easily distracted.
So, in the van headed up to The Woodlands to see our peditrician, I was moody, sleep deprived, and (insert shame here) frustrated with my daughter for inconveniencing me. I rescheduled my haircut for this, child. Rich and I had had an argument the night before that should have been anything but. I was generally feeling turned upside down. We were listening to our Indelible Grace CD, as we often do. Yes, it's a shameless plug. And if you don't own one, or aren't fortunate enough to be able to sing some of these timeless hymns set to new music, then get yourself one.
Jack requested "His Love can Never Fail," which gets me every time; whether we're in the car or singing it in church.
The chorus goes: His love can never fail,
His love can never fail.
My soul is SATISFIED,
To know His love can never fail.

Emphasis mine. We get to the chorus in the song and my boys start singing at the tops of their little lungs. Now Jack, like his daddy, can't carry a tune in a bucket. Love you, Rich. What he does is the equivalent of Rex Harrison's speaking on pitch in order to save his dignity. Hey, when you're the leading man playing opposite Audrey Hepburn...
But speaking on pitch is a little too generous when describing what Jack does, but he's making a joyful noise to his Creator. This little boys knows. He's told me that he loves Jesus and knows that He died for him. Thank You, God, for using my inadequacy and constant failings as a parent to grab hold of my son.
A smile came to my face because life is messy, but God gives us grace each and every day. He was stricken, beaten, and killed, so that this wretched, filthy, sinful, messy person could live forever. This is part of our forever; this life is part 1, if you will. I need to grasp each day what that means. I have a wonderful life, my soul is sealed, and my baby girl slept a little better last night because that darn molar is beginning to break through.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds rough- was it roseola or the molar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was both. I didn't know that roseola could somewhat mimic the flu with achiness. She was pretty miserable for a few days.

    ReplyDelete